We offer two types of vinyl, matte and regular (or gloss). Most colors are available in both options.
Which vinyl type should you choose?
Matte vinyl is considered to be “removable” in that it removes easier than regular gloss vinyl from most surfaces. The adhesive on the matte vinyl is water-based and meant to be temporary.
- It is the best choice for NON-TEXTURED walls and projects that will be used indoors only.
- Matte is flat and has very little sheen.
- If you are concerned about glare, choose matte.
- Matte does not adhere well to oil based stain or paint.
- Matte does stick well to flat smooth surfaces.
Gloss vinyl is our “shiny” vinyl and is suitable for both indoor and outdoor application. The adhesive on the glossy vinyl is solvent-based and meant to be a more permanent option. It is removable from walls, but not as easy as matte and may peel paint.
- It is the best choice for tiles, glass blocks, windows, mirrors, and any outdoor surface.
- It can get wet and withstand the cold and heat for 4-5 years.
- If you have textured walls – gloss will stick better to them.
- Gloss finish is shiny and slick.
- For wood surfaces, we recommend gloss.
Installation on certain surfaces such as brick, stucco, concrete block, suede paints, and sand paints is not recommended for either matte or gloss vinyl.
Please note that regardless of the vinyl you choose – neither type is reusable once removed.
*If you would like to apply vinyl to your walls, but are unsure of which type to select, please contact us before ordering.